Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

I looked into the eyes of a stranger and witnessed my own





My entire life has seemed as if I was missing an element that many of my close friends had in rich abundance.  For 34 years, I have known very little of the extended family that I share the same blood with.  As far back as I can remember, it has always been a small family of 6 of us, and that number has dwindled to four.  Of those four, I am the youngest by a few decades. 

As a small child I can remember infrequent visits to Kansas, the land of my kin. Unfortunately, those ended in the winter of second grade.  Since that distant past, my family has mirrored that of the desert we live in.  A vast array of wide open space that seems light years away from known civilization.  We were a small satellite that had drifted far beyond its original orbit, and had all but lost the ability to transmit relative communication.

I never had the ability to entirely understand how this bloodline isolation has affected me through out my personal narrative.  How could I have without a frame of reference?  While I must admit that I always carried a curiosity in the back of my mind, I had abandoned a quest to seek out where I come from.  Who needs to know?  I made the decision long ago, that I would rather put forth my energy to blaze a new trail, rather than look for what was once behind me.

Once again, the universal flow has a way of bringing old questions back to the foreground.  The vehicle that is RISE has once again been an avenue for my journey of self discovery.  This part of the story brings us to Norman, OK where I had the pleasure of meeting two 2nd cousins for the first time.  While I only shared space with Mikie Kinkead Tresemer for the one evening, I stayed with Terri Kinkead Owens.  The first evening Zak & I met extended members of my bloodline & watched the OKC Thunder play the L.A. Lakers in NBA playoff.  The entire experience was surreal.  Coupled with wine and tour through contemporary family history, I was passed through a stage of traumatic internal realization.

For the first time in my life, I knew I was not alone.  Unveiled before me was new history that was rich and brought forth such so much truth in to who Browns really are.  I am constantly surprised by what blessings have been bestowed upon my path while of the voyage of RISE.  There was no was to predict the chorus of love that I had encountered in Norman.  One observation that grabbed my attention from the beginning was the obvious resemblance I saw of myself in both Mikie & Terri.  There are no words to express my infinite gratitude to see my eyes looking back at me.  I felt like I had come home.

Leaving Norman, I completely underestimated how the departure would make me feel.  It was certainly a mixed bag of emotions.  I wanted more time with my newfound family, but was overwhelmed with the utmost feeling of gratitude for the opportunity to be in their company.  We still keep in touch, and I am already making plans to see them on my return journey.


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I will see you again…
                                                                                                            …but not yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment