Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Get Rich or Die Mayan




I was originally going to title this little ditty, “Prophecy, Season, & Crotch hair:  The Fundamentals of Maya”.  It’s a good thing I didn’t; It’s obvious there is already to much confusion on this fine subject.  We all have Paul Germinaro to thank for the title change.  He is with out a doubt the ugliest muse I have ever had, but by god an efficient one.   Next time any of you folks are lucky enough to see this handsome man, give him a pat on the back. Yes...I am aware of the contradiction in those last two sentences.  

2012 is upon us, and my GOD there is sooooo much Hoopla surrounding it.  I know…I know.   There may be some of you out there shaking your head at the screen, giving my name grief.  I admit…I am a fan of the whole 2012 mythos, and I do speak about it much more than I probably should.  There are some things you just don’t talk about in front of the squares.  The entire subject seems to have been blown out of proportion though.  The villain in question in this scenario isn’t the Maya.  Sadly, its average dysfunctional American who loves watching shit blow up.  Mix that with a ridiculously lame movie, and you’ve got a fine tonic for depraved chest thumping behavior.

So, I saw the John Cusack film 3 times.  I know…I said it was trash, but the effects were outlandishly fiendish and I’m an American.  American’s have a long history of dignified atrocities; we invented manifest destiny, atomic weaponry, high cholesterol, and American Idol…we know how to fuck shit up.  As for Cusack, come on bro!  I use to be such a fan.  First, 2012: the inexcusable tragedy in question. Now you’re the opiate-head Poe solving a murder mystery.  Poe is the Godfather of Emo…you be slippin son.  Wait…now that I think of it, seems like a fitting evolution.

DIDN’T YOU KNOW?  KICK BOXING IS THE SPORT OF THE FUTURE!

Ummmm…Sorry bout that.

Before we begin, lets acknowledge just a few of the counter arguments to the theorized Mayan Prophecy of end times.  Could it be that the Maya were just eccentric heathens with panache for human sacrifice and intricate stone tablet carving?  Sure, can’t you imagine the calories burned with those activities?  Is it possible that they simply ran out of time and/or resources when conducting their long-term calendar?  Why those trickster tribes men. 

In my understanding, which I admit, is nothing to boast about; the commercialized idea about the Mayan’s calendar seems a bit maladjusted.  Again, it’s that good ol’ American fascination with sensationalism.  If you’re looking for a protagonist or creator of the sensationalist mentality and end time hysteria, there are plenty of old time religions with a greater following to pin the blame on.   To give the Mayan a bit of credit I suggest foraging through the theories that equate the “Long-Term Mayan Calendar with cycles.   These theories have a bit more of a firm root in rational non-sensational thinking.

All one needs to do, is just pay the slightest bit of attention to life, both on this planet, and what is known about it elsewhere.  I know…the official extraterrestrial story hasn’t been disclosed.  You’re just gonna have to focus on life span of stars when think about life off world.  Everywhere you examine life, the concept of cycles are connected to it.  Just to name a few:  days, seasons, plants, animals, humans, menstrual, lunar, solar, etc. etc etc.  You smoking what I’m loading yet?   Is it possible that a civilization that is known for being mathematically inclined to have grasped a greater cycle that their long-term calendar represents?  This knowledge could have been passed down from pre-Mayan culture. 

Now I am no Mayan scholar…I just play one on Facebook & Twitter, but the accepted mainstream theory should widen to include alternative possibilities rather then mere destruction.   The thing about cycles is that it is a process.  Let’s say the Mayan are right.  You think you’re gonna wake up on the morning of the winter solstice of 2012 to alien invasion and zombie apocalypse?  Sounds like good times to me, but…GET REAL!!!  It’s a process and it happens over time.  You don’t plant a seed one day only to find a huge tree the very next?  You didn’t wake up one morning in your early preteens to a massive main of pubic hair?  Well maybe some of you had issues with that second thought.  Don’t ask, I have no idea where these thoughts spew.

The longer the cycle is the higher the difficulties in observing the fundamental occurrences, which define the attributes of a cycle.  If there is anything to the prophecy, we are living it now, and have been living it our entire lives.  People like to pile on a ton of criticism on ancient cultural prophecy and label them as primitive and hokey.  Let us not forget that the majority of our mainstreams faiths have enough exciting end time content to give Michael Bay his next summer blockbuster.  The Transformers wouldn’t have a snowballs chance in hell at the box office.

As I said in the beginning of this rant, I love the Mayan mythos…I love the possibility of 2012…and it has nothing to do with cataclysmic devastation.  For me it is about mysterious possibility, and a positive one for that matter.  There is one thing about prophecy…its always-in motion.  We live it and breath it constantly.  I don’t even care whether or not you believe in religion, spirituality, or new age perspectives.  We all have a worldview model that we attach ourselves to, and every model has a beginning, middle, and end in its archetypal structure.  By living out your chosen paradigm, you are enacting your prophecy.  As long as we are all doing this…lets make it worthwhile for every living creature that roams free…
                                                                                   
…yes, that includes bacteria.



XOXO




No comments:

Post a Comment