Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Chapter’s End



Saturday, February 11th was my last day as a City of Scottsdale Parks & Recreation Leader II.  For those of you who don’t know what that means…in a nut shell I was a servant to young and old within the community of Scottsdale, Arizona.  A willing servant, just to be to be abundantly clear.  I have worked for the COS for over 14 years.  Looking back on it know, it does more than blow my mind.  I have to admit, I wasn’t your standard recreation leader.  If you really know me, you know that I am not the model of excellence or example…at least not for the hollow plasticity that is advertised by status quo of mainstream acceptance.  Whatever the hell that means.

I’d like to believe that I did everything I could to stay genuine for the sake of the relationships that I built with kids, parents and other patrons of the public.
It would be nice to say that I was methodical and concise in the rhythm to my madness, but truth be told, its difficult for a person like me to exist in an atmosphere of an institution like a city government.  I’m not one to be weary of taboo; in fact, you could say that I am an advocate, if not an out right instigator.  What can I say…it must be my karma.

 I wish I could say that I did my absolute best.  Unfortunately, I don’t have the moxie to deliver such a deep and bold face lie.  I know that I could have done better.  The upside is to this sobering reality is that I know that I could have done better, and I intend to learn from my mistake.   I take with me an infinite pool of un-jaded knowledge from thousands of youth.    I have been blessed to have the privilege to learn from so many young folks.  From first grade to seniors in high school, all whom have been my greatest teachers.  I learned so much about my lack of patience, and how to change that.

My time spent wasn’t just working with the youth of the city; I also had the chance to learn from our community’s elders and middle aged professionals.  I will always appreciate the stories you shared and the encouragement to do what I needed from this world.  Your words will be with me as I travel across this country.  To all of you…young to old, know that I am here becomes of the time spent.  Community patrons, coworkers, and bosses, thank you.  For all of my complaints, and egocentric hissy fits…I appreciate your ability to deal with them.

Know that I carry you all with me within my heart, mind, and soul.  I will never let go the memories of the time we shared & the lesson’s learned.  With all my heart…thank you








2 comments:

  1. I've had lots of coworkers.

    I miss you as one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe...You have no idea how much I miss you. You'll always be the original G-Unit.

    ReplyDelete